Saturday, December 30, 2017

Mount TBR Final Checkpoint




Well, my fellow mountaineers, our 2017 climbing expedition is coming to a close and it's time to get ready for the Final Mountaineering Checkpoint. Where does the time go? I'm ready to hear how all our mountain-climbing team members have done out there on Pike's Peak, Mt. Ararat, Mt. Everest....whichever peak you've chosen. Checkpoint participation is absolutely voluntary and is not considered necessary for challenge completion.
 
For those who would like to participate in this checkpoint post, I'd like you to at least complete the first of these two things.  And if you feel particularly inspired (or generous about humoring me during the holiday season), then please do both.

1. Tell us how many miles you made it up your mountain (# of books read). If you've planted your flag on the peak, then tell us, take a selfie, and celebrate (and wave!).  Even if you were especially athletic and have been sitting atop your mountain for months, please check back in and remind us how quickly you sprinted up that trail. And feel free to tell us about any particularly exciting book adventures you've had along the way.

 
Unfortunately, for the first time since I put on my hiking boots and headed up the mountains, I have met NOT my declared goal--Mt. Olympus just doesn't seem to be in the cards for this climber. I seem to run out of climbing energy each year at about the 120 mark or so. What this means is that next year, I have my sights set back on Earth and will be scaling Mt. Everest again. If I manage to plan a flag on top of Olympus as well, then that will just be a bonus. Right now I have a few more reviews to write but I have knocked of 124 books off the TBR stacks. I might claim one or two more before the ball drops on New Year's Eve, but I'm not counting on it.
 

2. The Words to the Wise According to Mount TBR: Using the titles of the books you read this year, see how many of the familiar proverbs and sayings below you can complete with a book read on your journey up the Mountain. Feel free to add/subtract a word or two to help them make sense. I have given my titles as examples:

A stitch in time...[saves] Dread & Water  
Don't count your chickens...[before] Death Cracks a Bottle  
A penny saved is.... (a) Deed Without a Name
All good things must come... (to a) Quick Curtain  
When in Rome... (take a) Night Walk
All that glitters is not... Zadok's Treasure  
A picture is worth a... Case with Three Husbands  
When the going gets tough, the tough get... Fit to Kill  
Two wrongs don't make... Grounds for Murder  
he pen is mightier than.... Those Who Hunt the Night  
The squeaky wheel gets... (a) Death With Blue Ribbon  
Hope for the best, but prepare for... What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw!  
Birds of a feather flock... Where There's Smoke

And what do you get for all that hard work? The Checkpoint will close at 11:59 pm on Tuesday, January 9. On Sunday I will crank up the Custom Random Number Generator and pick a winning climber. He or she will have the chance to add to their TBR stack via my gently-used book vault (prize list will be sent). This prize is the only book given to you in 2018 that may count towards a 2018 TBR climb.

Even if you're not in the mood for a prize or if you got distracted by pretty scenery or side trails (library books, ARCs, what-have-you), I'd love to have you check in and tell us how your 2017 mountain climb went!

***Please note--Links are for Checkpoint posts only. Links that are not Checkpoint-specific will be removed--to make it easier for me to track a winner.






6 comments:

BooksPlease said...

Thanks for hosting this challenge, Bev. At the moment I don't think I'll be taking part next year - but I may change my mind later :)

Anonymous said...

You will find my updates at the end of my blog post and completed book list. I don't have time to do new pages for my group quartet in November and December but they will be here soon.

We need 2018 to begin happy years. Happy new year 2018 to us all! Carolyn and our family in Manitoba. https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/2017/02/05/carolyns-mount-to-be-read/

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I signed up For Mt. Ararat level to read 48 books from my TBR shelves and ended up reading 56. So I bumped up a level for 2018. Fun!

And I liked the Words of Wisdom game!

Barbara H. said...

I enjoyed this and am looking forward to participating this year, too!

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

The "words of wisdom" game was super fun!!!

I am signing up for next year too. Such a great challenge. Thanks for hosting again!

Anonymous said...

I reached my goal of climbing Mount Blanc! Thanks for hosting the challenge!