Monday, December 26, 2016

Mount TBR: Final Checkpoint




Wow. We're almost done with 2016 and it's time to get ready for the Final Mountaineering Checkpoint. Where does the time go? I'm ready to hear how all our mountain-climbing team members have done out there on Pike's Peak, Mt. Ararat, Mt. Everest....whichever peak you've chosen. Checkpoint participation is absolutely voluntary and is not considered necessary for challenge completion.
 
For those who would like to participate in this checkpoint post, I'd like you to at least complete the first of these two things.  And if you feel particularly inspired (or generous about humoring me during the holiday season), then please do both.

1. Tell us how many miles you made it up your mountain (# of books read). If you've planted your flag on the peak, then tell us, take a selfie, and celebrate (and wave!).  Even if you were especially athletic and have been sitting atop your mountain for months, please check back in and remind us how quickly you sprinted up that trail. And feel free to tell us about any particularly exciting book adventures you've had along the way.



I have met my declared goal--planting a flag atop Mount Everest back in September. I had high hopes of also sitting atop Mount Olympus up on Mars, but I got severely distracted by holiday preparations and other life happenings and I'm going to come up a bit short on that one. It's not deterring me from making Olympus my declared goal for 2017, though. Here's hoping I can stay focused in November and December next year....

2. The Words to the Wise According to Mount TBR: Using the titles of the books you read this year, see how many of the familiar proverbs and sayings below you can complete with a book read on your journey up the Mountain. Feel free to add/subtract a word or two to help them make sense. I have given my titles as examples:


A stitch in time...[is] Dead Against My Principles
Don't count your chickens...[when] Running Blind.
A penny saved is....Too Good to Be True.
All good things must come...Gently with the Painters.
When in Rome...Hunt with the Hounds.
All that glitters is not...The Eye of Osiris
A picture is worth a...Poacher's Bag
When the going gets tough, the tough get...The Devil in the Dark.
Two wrongs don't make...A Lesson in Secrets.
The pen is mightier than....The Platypus of Doom & Other Nihilists.
The squeaky wheel gets...A Pinch of Poison.
Hope for the best, but prepare for...A Cold Day for Murder.
Birds of a feather flock...While the Wind Howled.

And what do you get for all that hard work? The Checkpoint will close at 11:59 pm on Sunday, January 8. On Monday I will crank up the Custom Random Number Generator and pick a winning climber. He or she will have the chance to add to their TBR stack via my gently-used book vault (prize list will be sent). This prize is the only book given to you in 2017 that may count towards a 2017 TBR climb.

Even if you're not in the mood for a prize or if you got distracted by pretty scenery or side trails (library books, ARCs, what-have-you), I'd love to have you check in and tell us how your 2016 mountain climb went!

***Please note--Links are for Checkpoint posts only. Links that are not Checkpoint-specific will be removed--to make it easier for me to track a winner.






6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow , how much fun to get all of these new to you books. I love the covers on the old pulp paperbacks too. It will be fun to go through them all. Travellin' Penguin

A. Rivera said...

I have linked to my updated challenge post that states how far I made it. I ended up with 8 out of 12 books, so I did not quite make it up Pike's Peak. End of year was just rough overall with the events (I don't think we need to talk about the disaster 2016 turned out to be in the U.S.), and my reading just slowed down dramatically.

I do hope to sign up again in 2017 and take another stab at it.

Best, and keep on blogging.

Rachael said...

Thank you for hosting! I will be back next year to tackle some more mountains.

Anonymous said...

Bev, is this for the end of the year wrap-up post, or just the last quarter?

Bev Hankins said...

Barabah: This is the last quarter/final wrap-up all rolled into one.

J.G. said...

Got my wrap-up post up and whew, that was fun--even though I didn't make it to the top! Thanks so much for hosting and see you again soon!