Sunday, April 21, 2013

Alphabet Crime: Letter C

Here we are kicking off another year of the Alphabet in Crime Fiction hosted by Kerrie at Mysteries in Paradise.  Each week she expects participants to produce a post featuring a mystery/crime novel, mystery novelist, or crime fiction topic related to that week's letter.  In the past I have pretty much stuck to titles or authors, but this year I'm going to try and produce posts on various crime and mystery topics.
Zipping right along on our mysterious journey, we're already at the letter C.  And C is for Criminal Covers.  I've been admiring the pulp covers on my little square pocket-sized crime fiction collection. I do love those little pocket-sized book put out by Dell (Map Backs!) and Pocket Books (especially the World War II era books that were printed small in an effort to save paper for the war effort) and Permabooks and Bantam and Popular Library.  I'm mighty pleased whenever I come across one or two...or a stash...of those books in my used bookstore hunts.  I've been fortunate in my travels and have managed to collect a fair number.  And I just can't resist sharing some of these little gems with you.  My most recent read is the The Devil's Stronghold by Leslie Ford joined by others that are sitting companionably up on the shelves....





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bev - What a great idea! Very creative and there is definitely something about those vintage covers. Some of the pulp ones are really attention getting.

Bev Hankins said...

Margot, I love those old covers. One reason I like hard copy books like this--it's like having artwork on your shelves.

Marce said...

Classic crime covers make me smile. Great choices.

TracyK said...

This is a lovely post. I love book covers, especially vintage paperbacks. My favorite of this group is Death in the Doll's House, because I collect books with skulls or skeletons on the cover. And that is a fine one.

srivalli said...

Great covers! I love all of them!

Unknown said...

LOVE the vintage book art!

Anonymous said...

I love the vintage covers. I have a few Perry Masons in that format and I love them. Much better than the new covers.

Debbie Rodgers said...

Bev, I love what you're doing with the Crime Alphabet this time through - very creative. I'm on tenterhooks awaiting the next letter!

Bev Hankins said...

Thanks, everybody! (Debbie...I'm not sure how long I can keep the thrills coming...:-) ).