Saturday, September 1, 2012

August Wrapup & Pick of the Month

Onward in my monthly statisic-gathering and a combo post with Kerrie's Crime Fiction Pick of the Month over at Mysteries in Paradise.




Aaaannnddd the totals go down again.  August has been my slowest reading month yet.  I know I figured out that I was actually ahead of the reading game last month....but my 2012 TBR pile still looks mighty big.  Gonna have to take my reading vitamins.....

Total Books Read: 9
Total Pages:  2,453

Percentage by Female Authors:  56%
Percentage by US Authors:  22%

Percentage by non-US/non-British Authors:  22%
Percentage Mystery: 88%
Percentage Fiction: 100%
Percentage written 2000+: 22%
Percentage of Rereads: 0%
Percentage Read for Challenges: 100% {It's eas
y to have every book count for a challenge when you sign up for as many as I do.}  
Number of Challenges fulfilled so far: 16 (47%)



AND, as mentioned above, Kerrie is sponsoring a meme for those of us who track our reading. What she's looking for is our Top Mystery Read for each month.  This month 8 of the 9 books I read count as mysteries

The Key by Patricia Wentworth
Mysterious Incidents at Lone Rock by Rajendra Pillai
Gideon's Month by J. J. Marric
The Anatomy of Death by Felicity Young
Crime on Her Mind: Fifteen Stories of Female Sleuths from the Victorian Era to the Forties by Michele B. Slung, ed
Mrs. Jeffries Stands Corrected by Emily Brightwell
The Innocence of Father Brown by G. K. Chesterton
Death's Pale Horse by James Sherburne 


 and, of those, I handed out  2 four-star ratings to The Key and Crime on Her Mind.  If I have to choose an overall winner for this month, then I'm going to go with Crime on Her Mind.  This is a terrific collection of short stories that featured a high number of female detectives that I was unfamiliar with. Hopefully, you will find a whole new group of detectives to expand your mystery horizons too.

4 comments:

fredamans said...

My stats are lower this year too... must be global warming... LOL...
Happy September reading!

Shanae Branham said...

I’m glad I dropped by from Crime Fiction Pick of the Month meme. .
Cheers,
Shanae
My Blog

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

Congrats on reading toward your challenges! I'm only still participating in one and I have no idea how I'm doing because I've practically forgotten about it. I should definitely check that out...so thanks for the prompt.

TracyK said...

A great post. I like the statistics. Maybe next year I will add a few to my summary posts. I just read through some of your recent reviews and realized I have missed some, so I am signing up for the email notification. You review a lot of books I am interested in.