Friday, November 26, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday


Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme now hosted by Katy over at A Few More Pages. It was first started by Becky at Page Turners and inspired by Rose City Reader.


How to participate: Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments. Include the title and author so we know what you're reading. Then, if you like, let us know what your first impressions were based on that first line, and let us know why you did or did not like the sentence. Link up over at Katy's page every Friday.


Here is mine from A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Writings by Charles Dickens. It's actually from "Christmas Festivities," the first story in the collection:

Christmas time! The man must be a misanthrope indeed in whose breast something like a jovial feeling is not roused--in whose mind some pleasant associations are not awakened--by the recurrence of Christmas.

[I say "Amen" to that! And "Yay" for finally being able to start on my Christmas Spirit Challenge! ]


6 comments:

Hilde said...

I second that! But I'm sensing a "but" in all the pleasantness. The story can't be all jolly, can it? I plan to read A Christmas Carol this year too, as well as a couple of other Christmas stories by Dickens. Hope you enjoy your Dickens and good luck with the challenge!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Thanks for sharing...I am in the Christmas mood now. I dragged the storage boxes into the kitchen from the garage...now I will decorate, once my little helper arrives (youngest grandson, who still loves to do this!).

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Neena said...

Yay! I love the classics. It's also one of my personal goal/challenges for next year...11 classics in 2011.

And I do like the beginning lines there. I must be a somewhat misanthope then but not fully. lol!

Only because the holidays are somewhat sad for me, and yet still fun. *grins* Thanks for visiting my blog!

Tea said...

Love Charles Dickens, would love to read his other Christmas stories. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Dusky Literati said...

You just inspired me to add this to the Christmas Spirit Challenge. I had 3 on my list, so I've added the Christmas Carol as my 4th book.

Katy said...

Yay! I read A Christmas Carol for the first time last December, and adored it! Enjoy!

Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!