Saturday, April 24, 2010

Academic Mystery Addiction

Hi, my name is Bev and I'm addicted to academic mysteries. They leap from the shelves and out of bargain bins right into my hand. I can't fight it.

Case in point: My husband dragged me to Border's this afternoon.* He was in the mood to go look for the latest books from his favorite financial gurus (favorites subject to change without notice). So, I went. While waiting for him to exhaust the possibilities of the "Manage Your Own Finances" section, I browsed the bargain bin. That was my undoing. How could I resist the first line of the back cover blurb: "A star poet at Hebrew University with a history of lechery is beaten to death in his office." I mean, really, it had to come home with me.


*I'm sure that anyone who knows me will find it hard to believe that Brad would have to drag me into any bookstore. But the fact of the matter is, I'm a used bookstore kind of girl. New, shiny stores just don't have all that much appeal for me--particularly when I know I can walk out of a used bookstore with 4-5 books for the cost of one that's new. And...I'm just not gonna find what I want in Border's or Barnes & Noble. I'm generally on the hunt for little-known Golden Age mysteries (preferably first editions). Not going to find those waiting patiently on the shelves of a place with a Starbucks cafe sitting in the corner.

No comments: